5 Ways To Add Chia Seeds To Your Diet
It is said, “good things come in small packages”. It is a fact when it comes to chia seeds which are tiny yet loaded with nutrients. They are also known as Salvia Hispanica and belong to the mint family. Some ancient civilizations like the Aztecs and the Mayans used to consume these seeds as a staple food. Primarily chia seeds were grown for their oil but later on made their way to the culinary world because of numerous health benefits.
Adding chia seeds to your diet can be beneficial if you are diabetic. These seeds may help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and other diabetes complications because they are an excellent source of dietary fibre that helps prevent blood sugar spikes and aids in maintaining your weight. They are anti-inflammatory and low in digestible carbs.
It is easy to incorporate Chia seeds into your daily meals as they are so versatile. One of the simplest ways to do it is to have chia water. All you need to do is take ¼ cup of chia seeds and soak them in 3 cups for about 25 minutes before you have them. This water is also excellent for weight loss.
A few ways you can add chia seeds to your diet:
- Homemade crackers: Homemade crackers are an ideal snack for diabetic patients. Make some crackers using whole-grain or multigrain flour. You can sprinkle some chia seeds into the batter while baking your crackers.
- Substitute for eggs: Chia seeds are an excellent substitute for eggs in baking and vegan cooking. To use them as an egg substitute, mix 1 tablespoon of chia with 3 tablespoons of water. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes. The seeds will absorb the water and form a gel that is used as a substitute for an egg.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a healthy fibre rich breakfast option for everyone, but it is particularly one of the best breakfasts for diabetics. Oats are rich in fibre and protein. Having the same plain oatmeal every day can make it a monotonous meal. So to add some twist to it, you can always add fruits and seeds like chia.
- Chia pudding: Chia pudding is one of the most popular dishes made from chia seeds. Chia pudding is a healthy and satisfying breakfast choice and can also be devoured as a dessert by diabetic patients. It is also simple to make this pudding. All you have to do is mix a quarter-cup of chia seeds in a cup of juice or milk. You can also use flavourings of your choice to enhance the taste.
- Salads and Smoothies Sprinkling your salads with nuts and seeds can add flavour as well as make them even more nutritious. Green salads are already healthy but adding chia seeds can make your salad more fibre-rich and healthy. You can also spruce up the taste of your yoghurt and smoothie and give it a nutty and crunchy flavour by adding a handful of chia seeds. Adding these seeds to your smoothie makes it more filling and nutritious and can be used in almost any smoothie.
- 0 Comments