8 Foods and Beverages to Avoid with Arthritis
Arthritis is also known as joint inflammation. Its swelling happens in the joints due to regular wear and tear as well due to age. People of older age are more prone to this disease. It causes pain and can affect the day to day tasks.
There are mainly two types of arthritis: osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis that causes damage to the joints in different manners.
- An osteoarthritis is a common form of arthritis- observed due to tightened and slick coating in the joints cartilage. The disease causes changes in the bones and deterioration of the connective tissues.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is the other form of arthritis- that attacks the joints capsule which, encloses all the joints parts.
A healthy diet can help you live a healthy life. Restricting the consumption of certain foods and beverages and replacing them with healthier alternatives can help influence the disease. Here is a list of foods and drinks that a person with arthritis should avoid:
- Added Sugar: Added sugar is sugar that doesn’t occur naturally. Artificial sugar or sweeteners are added to food to make it sweeter. These can be found: in candies, chocolates, icecreams as well as many beverages. This sugar comes with artificial nutrients that are not good for bones which eventually harms the patients with arthritis.
- Red Meat: Red Meat is rich in proteins that cause joint inflammation. If it is processed as well as red, it has certain chemicals which are unhealthy for people. A plant-based diet can help to cure arthritis.
- Highly Processed Food: Many companies provide highly processed cereals with added sugars and preservatives that cause more damage to the patient's health.
- Alcohol: Chronic Alcohol is harmful to the health of everyone. But arthritis patients need to be extra cautious about their alcohol consumption. Alcohol has chemicals that affect the bones, which ultimately affects patients with arthritis.
- High Salted Food: People who eat salted food are prone to diseases like heart diseases, skin problems, arthritis etc., as it has high sodium.
- Fried Food: Vegetable oils- that are rich in omega-6 fatty acids cause problems in bones. So, excessive consumption of fried food should be restricted.
- Gluten Food: Gluten is a group of proteins found in grains like wheat, rye and barley. Eating high gluten-rich food causes problems to joints, so it is advisable to eat gluten-free food if a person has arthritis. Instead of gluten-rich grains, patients can consume grains like Oats, Quinoa, Jowar can be consumed.
- Refined Carbohydrates: Food items high in carbohydrates, specially AGEs (Advanced Glycation End), should be avoided as they simulate inflammation. A person with arthritis should avoid white bread, white rice etc., as these items have a high content of refined carbohydrates.
These were some food items that a person should avoid. It is often better to stay precautious than to suffer.
- 0 Comments