All You Need To Know About The Health Benefits Of Pumpkin Seeds
As soon as you hear Pumpkin, Halloween or Thanksgiving is what comes to your mind. The overall health benefits of this fruit are often ignored. The seeds of this fruit, also known as pepitas, host many benefits.
Being considered as a powerhouse of nutrients, Pumpkin Seeds are now coming into the limelight especially amongst the health-conscious people.
They are rich in minerals like manganese, phosphorus, zinc, copper, magnesium, iron and tryptophan. They are also a good source of vitamins like vitamin E, K, C and B.
Apart from the minerals and vitamins, they are rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids.
These seeds can have a nutty, sweet, creamy and crunchy flavour which can be enjoyed with desserts, salads or just as a snack. It can even be incorporated into bakery foods.
Here are some of the best health benefits which these tiny seeds provide:
- Lowers the Bad Cholesterol: Regular consumption of these seeds help in lowering the Low-Density Lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol which is bad for the human body. It consists of phytosterols which help lower the cholesterol level, prevent blood clots and reduce the risk of atherosclerosis. They are even rich in monounsaturated fats like oleic acid which helps in increasing the level of HDL cholesterol in the body. Consume 2-3 grams of dry and roasted pumpkin seeds every day.
- Maintains Blood Sugar: These seeds greatly contribute to improving the insulin regulation and prevents diabetic complication by reducing oxidative stress. These seeds consist of phytochemical compounds which prevent diabetic kidney diseases. For diabetics, it is advised to consume about 2 tablespoons of roasted pumpkin seeds every day.
- Relieves Stress: Pumpkin Seed is a rich source of tryptophan, a compound which is said to relieve anxiety. This compound releases serotonin, a neurotransmitter hormone which makes you feel happy and keeps your mind calm. Less level of tryptophan in the body can lead to stress, depression and other such anxiety disorders. Apart from these, Pumpkin Seeds also consist of B vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids which helps in efficient functioning of the nervous system. Consume these seeds when you feel stressed and tired, and they can calm you down.
- Fights Arthritis Inflammation: These seeds possess strong anti-inflammatory properties which help in treating rheumatoid arthritis. These properties help in alleviating the pain in joints and inflammation in certain areas of your body.
- Improves Prostate Health and Bladder: Being the richest source of zinc, it greatly supports the prostate health, treats an enlarged prostate known as Benign Prostate Hyperplasia (BPH), helps in improving urinary flow, and Supports urinary bladder function. The phytosterols present in these seeds help to shrink an enlarged prostate.
- Boosts Bone Health: These seeds being rich in minerals like magnesium, help in improving bone health and reduces the risk of osteoporosis. It also increases the bone mineral density, thereby keeping the bones strong. Besides magnesium, they are rich in phosphorus, which acts as natural protectors of osteoporosis. Consuming about 1/4th cup of pumpkin seeds can reduce the symptoms of bone weakness and osteoporosis.