Asian Style Congee
Did you know that congee is very popular comfort food in China and many other Asian countries? Here is an Oats Congee recipe to elevate the regular congee with Asian flavours and spices.
6 cups of Vegetable Stock / Water
2 sticks of Lemongrass
3 cloves of Garlic
1 tbsp chopped ginger
Salt to taste
Chilli Oil (optional)
Chopped Spring Onions
Directions(For qty, refer to the ingredients section)
- Peel and slice garlic, ginger, and mushroom.
- In a pan heat some oil and sauté garlic and mushroom together for 2-3 minutes.
- Cut lemongrass into big pieces.
- In a pot add water, oats congee, lemongrass, and ginger and cook on medium flame.
- Cover the pot with a lid and bring everything to a boil.
- Cook for 20 mins or till you see that it is still a little watery.
- Get it off the stove as it will thicken when it cools down.
- You can remove the lemongrass pieces from the mix.
- Serve the Oats Congee in a bowl and add the sauteéd mushrooms and garlic on top of this.
- Add soy sauce, chili oil, fried onions, and spring onions on top. Serve warm.