Benefits of Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower is mostly popular as one of the most beautiful flowers, but hardly anyone is aware of the benefits of the seeds which are edible and can be good for the overall health of the body. The seeds are often extracted for the purpose of edible oil. These seeds can also be consumed as a snack without any side effects or doing harm to the body. It can make up for a great snack option in replacement to other calorie-laden junk foods.
They are packed with a heavy nutritional punch. These seeds are a good source of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals.
Read the following article to know more about the nutritional benefits these small seeds provide you with:
- It can keep your heart healthy: The main cause of a great number of deaths in the past few years is because of the heart diseases people suffer with. These seeds promote the heart health as it is a good source of healthy fats along with phytosterols. The healthy fats sunflower seeds consist of is monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. These fats help lower the cholesterol levels and keep blood sugar levels under check, thus keeping your heart healthy.
- It can improve your mood: These seeds, along with vitamins and minerals, are also rich in essential amino acids which contain protein in high amounts. The protein content in sunflower seeds contains a substance called tryptophan which helps keep your mind calm and stress-free. The human body uses this amino acid to release a neurotransmitter called serotonin which regulates the mood. The tryptophan content is also responsible for improving the mood swings in women during the menstrual cycle and during the depression. Sunflower Seeds also consist of omega-3 fatty acids which regulate the brain functioning and has also been proved to deal with depression.
- It lowers the risk of Parkinson’s disease: They are the richest source of vitamins, especially vitamin E. Vitamin E is one of the vital nutrients that the body needs to function properly. It can help in protecting against Parkinson’s disease, a disorder in which there is a difficulty in moving, talking, walking, etc. Vitamin E can have a neuroprotective effect which helps prevent Parkinson’s disease.
- It can improve male fertility: They are a rich source of minerals like zinc, potassium, iron, phosphorus, calcium, etc. Zinc is an essential mineral which is important for male fertility. Zinc can help improve the male sperm count, quality and motility in infertile men.
- It benefits your hair: Sunflower Seeds are also a good source of vitamin B along with vitamin E. Vitamin B is mainly responsible for metabolizing fats, carbohydrates and proteins. Biotin is also known to help improve the quality of hair by strengthening the keratin and boosting hair growth.
- It can help prevent birth defects: These seeds are a rich source of B vitamin called folate. Folate is responsible for cell division and building genetic material inside the body. Folate is an essential vitamin is vitally important during pregnancy. If the level of this vitamin is low, it can lead to a low-weight baby or premature birth. ½ a cup of these seeds provides you with 101 mcg of folate which can keep the health of the mother and baby, both in a good state.