Best Foods for Diabetes Patients
Diabetes is a health condition in which blood glucose or blood sugar levels are higher than normal. It is becoming a very common disease nowadays. It is said that 9.3% of the world’s population suffers from diabetes.
Even though diabetes can have some major effects on the body, it can be kept in control through diet and lifestyle. Cutting down on added sugar is a given but other than that eating less salt and less processed foods and choosing healthy carbs can be very helpful.
Here areas few foods can also be very beneficial for Diabetes Patients.
- Chia Seeds: These seeds consist of fibre and omega-3 in high quantities which help in improving insulin tolerance. It is also beneficial in controlling sweet cravings and lower blood sugar levels in your body.
- Greek Yoghurt: Rich in probiotics, studies suggest that eating dairy products can help in keeping the body’s blood sugar level in check.
- Seeds: Cutting down on sugar can increase the body’s craving for snacks. It is important to pick a healthier option than go for the junk that might complicate the condition even more. Seeds are not just high in nutrition but are also a delicious snack alternative. They are crunchy in texture and nutty in flavour and can be eaten as it is or even roasted and flavoured with your favourite spices. Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds and Watermelon seeds are great for snacking.
- Leafy Vegetables: Leafy green vegetables are very important in a diabetic patient’s diet. Vegetables like kale, spinach, cabbage and lettuce are highly nutritious and extremely low in calories. Their vitamin C and mineral content help in releasing antioxidants in the body that help reduce blood sugar.
- Fish: Fish that is high in fat is very beneficial for diabetic patients. Low levels of Vitamin D is very common in these patients, eating fish can ensure that the body gets adequate vitamins, omega-3 and a good amount of protein. Fatty fishes like salmon and mackerel are the best choice.
Regular exercise and mindful food choices can help control and improve the health of Diabetic Patients.
- 0 Comments