How to increase good cholesterol?
It has always been a serious issue that high cholesterol levels often disrupt life and cause serious health hazards. But there is a type of cholesterol that doesn’t harm you if it is at a higher level and can reduce the risk of several heart diseases. This type of cholesterol is known as HDL cholesterol which is also termed as a good cholesterol. HDL cholesterol is effective in reducing unwanted cholesterol in the liver and helps keep the liver healthy.
The genes of our body play a major role in determining the level of cholesterol that our body makes. Your lifestyle is mainly responsible for the cholesterol level of your body. Making changes to your eating habits and exercise can greatly contribute to raising HDL cholesterol and lower the risk of life-threatening health issues.
Here are some of the easiest and best ways to increase the level of good cholesterol in your body naturally:
- Smoking is not only injurious to lungs but also to the overall health of the body. Smoking cigarettes lead to a decrease in the level of good cholesterol which triggers the increased risk of development of coronary heart disease. So it is advisable to quit smoking before the condition turns out to be worse.
- exercising regularly not only keeps you fresh and active throughout the day, but it also benefits you in many other ways. Along with keeping your muscles and joints intact, it can help in increasing the HDL cholesterol level of your body. Vigorous exercise is the key to boost HDL.
- People who are obese or overweight can already be at a risk of several health diseases. One of the biggest risks is that of the cholesterol levels. This risk can be decreased by shedding off pounds of weight. Decrease 6 pounds of weight which will lead to an increase in HDL by 1 milligram per decilitre. While trying to increase the HDL level, you can gradually treat obesity at the same time.
Consume healthy fats:
- Consumption of healthy fats is necessary to increase the HDL as it balances the LDL by lowering it and increasing HDL on the other side. Incorporate foods rich in healthy fats such as avocados, beans, nuts, olive oil, salmon, etc.
Control your alcohol intake:
- Consuming alcohol in moderate levels helps in increasing HDL levels. Excess of alcohol can only worsen the condition. Organic red wine can be a great choice but make sure you consume it in moderate levels as it can alter your overall health.
Increase intake of Niacin:
- Vitamin B is known as Niacin which is responsible for the conversion of food into energy. It can also help in improving the digestive system, nervous system, hair, skin, etc. Some people get this vitamin through their diets while other depend upon supplements for the same. It is said that niacin supplementation can increase the HDL level by approximately 30 %. It is advisable to consult a doctor for the prescription of niacin supplements as high dosages can cause certain side effects.
Take into consideration the above points while finding ways to increase HDL cholesterol and this way it can benefit your overall health.