Struggling to get a good sleep? Try these Sleep-inducing Foods
To live a healthy, peaceful life, there are 4 pillars that you rely on, which is peaceful, good-quality sleep, regular physical activity, mental wellbeing and a healthy nutritious diet. But do these 4 factors interact with each other on a day-to-day basis?
Many amongst us do strive to implement a healthy lifestyle but the foods that we eat, we barely know if they come with a purpose of improving the quality of our sleep. Did you know in order to have a goodnight’s sleep, there are certain foods and substances that trigger the sleep-inducing hormone and calms down the nervous system. People who often suffer from Insomnia should definitely be mindful about their food choices. Listed below are some foods that can help induce sleep by reducing stress, calming the brain’s nervous activity and help improve the sleep quality:
- Apart from the antibacterial properties that honey possesses, it also contains glucose which lowers the levels of orexin, a hormone which raises alertness levels. Consumption of Honey before going to sleep stocks up our liver with glycogen which helps us make through the night without food.
- Chamomile flowers consists of tryptophan in them which soothes the nervous system, thereby making you sleep by calming the effects on the brain and body. It is a non-caffeinated tea which can also help with reducing stress.
- Milk is also known to contain tryptophan which boosts metabolism and at the same time, also regulated the sleep cycle. Best way to help yourself have a goodnight’s sleep is to consume a glass of warm milk before going to bed.
- Known to help in gaining weight, Bananas are also helpful in getting you a good sleep as they are highly rich in potassium which helps in achieving a deep sleep. They also contain magnesium and tryptophan, both of which are essential for a quality sleep.
- Being popular worldwide for its nutritious property, a handful of nuts are a quick, handy snack which boosts the serotonin levels in the brain, along with being rich in Magnesium and Tryptophan. Seeds which are not just fibre-rich but also loaded with minerals and tryptophan are also useful for letting you sleep like a baby without any disturbance. Seeds like Pumpkin Seeds, Flax Seeds & Sunflower Seeds and nuts like Walnuts are a great source of such nutrients.
- The most effective vitamin to treat sleep disorders such as Insomnia is Vitamin B complex. Beans are said to naturally contain these vitamins in them. It also helps in reducing stress and anxiety attacks.
- Apart from helping you shed extra calories from your body, whole grains help in the production of insulin, which further helps the neurons to produce tryptophan which helps in inducing sleep.
- Cherries are loved by kids and teens, especially the ripe ones which are not just delicious but also rich in melatonin which improves the quality of your sleep.
- A healthy, light dessert after dinner is what everyone craves. At such times, a small bowl of refreshing, cold yogurt topped with crunchy Muesli or Granola can make up for your dessert cravings. Yogurt contains calcium which is needed to produce a sleep-inducing hormone called tryptophan and melatonin. Also, it can be really a healthy yet delicious alternative to Icecream!
- Widely consumed as a breakfast food good for weight loss, Oats are naturally gluten-free as well as also a natural source of melatonin. Foods that contain Oats like Muesli, Granola can make up for a quick evening snack, thus reducing the stress and anxiety and thereby letting you have a good night’s sleep.
- 0 Comments